Professional Certificate in GIS
The graduate-level Professional Certificate Program in GIS will provide the skills to acquire, process, analyze, and appropriately display geographic data, locally or on the Internet. It is designed to facilitate those students working toward graduate degrees in a variety of disciplines, as well as those who use GIS in the workplace and would like to obtain systematic training in the technology without having to complete a graduate degree. The Certificate Program consists of five courses with a total of 16-18 credit hours, including elective courses from a variety of departments/programs.
The graduate level professional certificate in Geographic Information Science is designed to provide individuals who require GIS technology in their professional lives the skills to acquire, process, analyze, and appropriately display geographic data.
The graduate level professional certificate in Geographic Information Science is designed for individuals who would like to learn more about GISci methodologies, technology, and concepts in their professional lives.
GIS Certificate Requirements (20)
1. Admission to the program: B.A. or B.S. in a related field. A statement of intent, GRE scores, and transcripts must be provided to the Graduate School as part of the application. Students lacking appropriate background may be required to take prerequisite courses.
2. Required Courses (16) The student must take the following courses:
- Geog 6518 Digital Cartography (4)
- Geog 6530 Introduction to Remote Sensing (4)
- Geog 6532 Introduction to Geographic Information Systems (4)
- Geog 6534 Advanced Geographic Information Systems (4)
3. Elective Courses (4) The student must take one of the following courses:
- Geog 6520 Quantitative Spatial Analysis (4)
- Geog 6834 Applied Research in GIS (4)
- Geog 8001 Methods of Geographic Research (4)
- Geog 8030 Seminar in Cartography (4)
- Geog 8035 Seminar in Geographic Information Systems (4)
- Geog 6123 Geoinformatics (4)
The student must pass an examination of GIS knowledge and applications. The certificate will be issued to students who complete the above requirements, including graduate students enrolled in the non-degree programs.